About the position
Liberty is looking for a Medical Officer
The key purpose of this role is to provide general medical input, advice and expertise regarding risk underwriting and claims assessments. To undertake research initiatives within the Research and Development area of individual long-term life insurance. The successful incumbent will also participate in company-wide projects to improve risk management and customer experience. Understands how medical science and medicine impacts the long-term insurance business environment.
- Conduct medical and underwriting research.
- In collaboration with stakeholders, define a research plan to address areas of concern, opportunities &/or areas requiring further investigation.
- Provide expertise and support to identify, develop, implement and enhance strategic business opportunities in support of the organisational mandate.
- Provide strategic oversight as well as related advisory and evaluation services from a professional and knowledge perspective.
- Promote a customer-centric view of the organisation and promote the organisation with other thought leaders and stakeholders, related to area of specialisation.
- Translate the organisational risk and governance management model into a compliance framework and policies that apply to an area of specialisation across value chains, enabling the management of critical risks.
- Medical assessment of cases, both individual and group to determine how treatment impacts the claims environment.
- Plan for, administer and process medical related tasks and activities effectively and efficiently in alignment with performance objectives.
- Provide advice and support related to medical enquiries as well as ongoing educational communications with providers.
- Provide underwriting and claims advice and support related to moderately complex assessments that involve risks for the organisation.
- Provides input to medical position papers or articles for Liberty on key risk selection issues, medical topics, or product initiatives.
- To provide guidance and training to the nurses on the road with respect to collection of medical requirements from clients and conducting clinical practice.
- Qualified Medical Doctor (i.e. MbChB/MBBCh or equivalent)
- MBA or equivalent qualification will be an advantage.
- Minimum of at least 5 years' experience, post full qualification as a Medical Doctor (i.e. post community service and internship).
- Management experience or suitable qualification (i.e. MBA or equivalent) would be an advantage.
- Experience in occupational health, psychiatry or cardiology would be an advantage.
- Experience in Long - Term insurance or working for a medical centre would be an advantage.
Job Related Skills/Knowledge:
- Customer Orientation skills;
- Teamwork and Cooperation skills;
- Problem Solving and analysis skills;
- Interpersonal effectiveness & influencing skills;
- People Management and empowerment skills;
- Strong communicating skills;
- Ability to provide technical knowledge and advise to internal customers to assist in decision making;
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of risk management methodologies, tools, governance structures and regulatory requirements for good management of risk.
- Reporting and interpretation skills;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Underwriting & long term risk assessment process;
- Research and Information gathering skills:
Ability to review and study relevant information from various sources to develop new information. Ability to identify primary and secondary authorities to validate the research.
- Medical Industry related knowledge
- Braamfontein, Johannesburg
Apply for job
- Medical information
- Medical officer
- Medical Doctor
- occupational health
- long term insurance